Thank God for the breeders of good pigs! When experts who really know what they are doing produce livestock by rearing animals in humane and excellent conditions, you get meat which tastes amazing.
The ensuing meal was succulent and full of flavour; I did very little, introduced some exotic spices and a long, slow roast. It was that easy......
This recipe feeds 8 comfortably
- 3kilo boned and rolled shoulder of fabulous pork
- 6 cloves garlic
- Some ginger
- 2 red chili
- 2 star anise
- Cinamon stick
- 2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 2 tBsp Shoyu
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Some coriander leaves
Mix all the spices together and marinade the joint preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Place the marinaded joint in oven for 30 minutes
- Turn down to 140C for 4 - 5 hours.
- Allow to rest covered with foil.
- To make a sauce, pour off the fat and add some Chinese cooking wine to the pan and bring to the boil, adjust the seasoning with shoyu and some honey and finish with coriander.
- The meat will be falling apart very easily, you should be able to carve with a fork.
- Serve with rice or noodles and some stir fried veg.