Slow cooked spicy squid casserole
I had to cook for a large group this week end and got one of my old favourites out the bag. This is a guaranteed crowd pleaser, a good chance you will even entice those who don't like squid. The slow, low cooking gives a soft, melt in the mouth texture. Serve with plain boiled rice, or crushed new potatoes and a zinging palate cleansing salad.
The recipe is a guide, as it is one of those dishes that's better improvised each time.
- 1kg squid, cleaned and sliced
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 hot red chili (you can use dried flakes)
- 1 stick of lemongrass sliced (optional)
- 1 tin of plumb tomatoes
- 1 lime or lemon
- Handful of coriander
- Olive oil and seasoning
- Fry the onion off in some olive oil until soft.
- Add the garlic, chili, and lemongrass and stir for a minute
- Up the heat and stir fry the squid for a minute
- Add the tin of tomatoes and break up the tomatoes as they cook out
- Season and add lime or lemon juice
- Simmer for at least an hour on a really low heat, or in a low oven
- When it's soft and tender, check seasoning and add the coriander.