I made up some fresh pesto using the wild garlic leaf in place of basil and garlic. It worked very well. I used olive oil, but would love to try it using flax seed oil or rape seed oil, both of which are local.
- 100gms Wild Garlic Leaves
- 200ml Olive Oil or Flax or Rapeseed
- 50gms Peccorino or any similar hard cheese
- 50gms pinenuts
- seasoning to taste
Simply blend all the ingredients in the food processor and put in a jar - voila!
For some simple wild garlic leaf soup:
- 4 shallotts chopped fine or 1 large onion
- couple of generous glugs of olive oil and a knob of butter
- 500gms floury potatoes, peeled and chopped small
- 200gms wild garlic leaves washed
- 1 litre chicken stock or veg stock
- Sweat the shallots or onion in oil/butter until just about golden
- Add the potatoes and cook for a minute.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, simmer for 15 minutes, until potato is soft.
- Add the wild garlic leaves.
- Blend and season