Monday 15 March 2010

Red and Green!

A Bowl of Vitality anyone?

It's been a long time and I've somewhat fallen off the blogging habit with so much of life's demands and a crazy work schedule of late.

This particular dish has been the product of inspiration from the cuisine of Azerbaijan. Azer-by-where? you may well say. And until a few months ago I had no idea of this culinary superpower. Azerbaijan stands on an amazing geographical crossroads with the Caspian Sea to the East, Armenia, Georgia, Russia and Iran as surrounding neighbours. Ancient Azerbaijan was on the Silk road and most fascinating of all, the country enjoys 9 out of 11 of the world's climatic regions within the country. Hence its rich and bountiful larder offers a huge range of culinary treasures. Pomegranates are a big part of Azeri diet.

I feel as though I’ve been in the dessert with virtually no nourishment other than kettle chips and earl grey. Albeit single estate Ceylone One Earl Grey. So in an attempt to recalibrate my depleted energy and lack of anything decent to eat (this is a caterers downfall) I will share with you what I made today, and as you can see I was very happy and pleased with myself!

How many anti oxidants do you want in a single mouthful? …… and while you’re at it, a kidney holidaying, life affirming, pranic punching, palatte cleansing bowl of ruby red.

I have been reminded of the much underused herb tarragon. The bunch I had was particularly strong and sent my palate wild with its potent aniseed cum licorice flavour. It will lift anything humdrum and breathe new life into any dish or sauce that needs some help.

The Reds

  • 2 Roasted beetroots grated
  • 4 Tablespoons of aduki bean sprouts
  • 2 pomegranates deseeded
  • 1 small red onion finely chopped

The Greens

A handful each of :

  • Dill
  • Taragon
  • Mint
  • Pistachios

Dress with some cider vinegar, pomegranate molasses and 2 tablespoons of your best olive oil.

This is a great side to something like smoked mackeral with a watercress salad.

2 comments:

  1. How strange. I was wondering about you this afternoon and here you are. That looks totally delicious. I love the colours. They just make you want to dive in. Anticipation of summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photographs are really lovely! Reading down, I found the Scotch Eggs. I had never quite realized how they were made.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.