Pear & date chutney
I couldn't stay away from the preserving pan today. The farmers market was brimming with Autumn's bounty and the urge to wave the preserving wand was strong. Besides, it was a good distraction to the many nagging duties I'm avoiding.
Damsons are one of my favourite autumn fruits, as much for it's dark indigo colour as its sharp distinctive flavour. I keep a jar of damson jelly as a staple, which I add to most meat sauces, especially for game, to give depth and a distinguished colour.
Today I made damson cheese, which I intend to serve with some fine cheeses. It couldn't be easier.
Also a batch of pears from my Mum's garden to make huge pot of pear & date chutney. This goes very well with mature cheddar cheese.
And so my winter larder grew today, as well with redcurrant jelly and blackberry and apple jelly, the product of a happy forage in Kent.
Pears, dates, onion, cinamon and ginger
Wine Dark Cheese
This recipe is from Margarite Pattern's Jams, Chutneys, preserves, vingegars and Oils. If
1 Kg Damsons
450gm caster sugar
- Cover the damsons in a some water and bring to the boil,simmer for about 30 minutes until the fruit is mushy and soft.
- Push the fruit through a seive and reserve the pulp.
- For each 600ml of pulp, measure 450gm of caster sugar.
- Heat the pulp and and add the sugar. Bring to a rapid boil for about 8 minutes. Check for setting point.
- Pour into containers, cool.
Pear, Date & Cinnamon Chutney
(This recipe is from Delicious Magazine - I added the ginger)
1 Kg pears chopped small
2 eating apples chopped small
450gm dates chopped
300gm demarera sugar
450gm shallots or onions chopped
5cm grated ginger
600ml cider vinegar
- Add the chopped pear, apple, dates, onion, grated ginger, cinnamon sticks to a pan with the 300ml cider vinegar and slowly bring to the boil.
- Simmer vigorously for 30 minutes and add the other 300ml of cider vinegar. Boil for a further 30 minutes, until the mixture is thick. (you may need to continue boiling for another 15 minutes).
- Pour into steralised hot jars and seal.