Tuesday 8 September 2009

Raspberry Pots


I've been meaning to write this post all summer.  Here is my favourite summer dessert, even though I write this in Autumn.  I made these  raspberry pots last week, when it was still summer.  Last attempt to hold on to the summer before it slips away.

I've been enjoying this dessert for years.  The recipe is from the late and outrageously flamboyant Francis Coulson.  "You need a light heart to bake a light cake".  He didn't hold back on the double cream either.  

225gm raspberries
3 Tbsp caster sugar
4 egg yolks 
300ml  double cream
1.5 Tbsp Cointreau

  1. Preheat oven ot 140C. 
  2. Puree the raspberries in a blender with sugar  and  yolks. Pass through a seive (although I didn't).
  3. Stir in the crean and the Cointreau. Mix.
  4. Pour into ramekins and cook in a bain marie for about an  hour.  
  5. The custard should be just set and slightly wobbly in the centre.
  6. Allow to cool and chill thoroughtly for at least 6 hours.
  7. Serve with cold double cream poured on top so that each time you take a spoonful, the cream fills up the hole.
The original recipe is with strawberries and Francis recommends raspberries, which I prefer.

A dusting of icing sugar makes for an elegant dessert which matches almost anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.