Thursday 8 October 2009

Cobnut and Chocolate Cake



Reading a post on a forum last night I discovered the prodigiously talented Kitchen Goddess to be found on  http://culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess.wordpress.com  who made cobnut macaroons with home made nutella.  Now that is plain showing off.  I  debated whether to go and make them right there and  then, but it was heading for midnight........ I cracked open 100gms of cobnuts (which isn't a quick job) and then decided it was too late.   First thing this morning I decided  on a cobnut cake to which I added some melted chocolate.

The  recipe was a french recipe, courtesty of a forum poster Shyvas, who I sincerely thank.

I added chocolate and chestnut flour.
  • 100gms cobnuts (shelled)
  • 4 egg whites
  • 200gms sugar
  • 80gms plain flour
  • 30gms chestnut flour
  • 90gms melted butter
  • 75gms melted 75% cooking chocolate
  1. Roast the nuts and grind.
  2. Whisk the egg whites with the sugar.
  3. Add the 2 flours.
  4. Add the melted butter and then the nuts.
  5. Pile into a loaf tin and  bake on  170 for 30/40 mins.


3 comments:

  1. Oh no, now I need more cobnuts. That looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks wonderful. I love the swirly effect from the chocolate.I could also imagine salted butter caramel pairing with the cobnuts..............

    You didn't mention what the taste was like. Was the cake moist or more like a teacake ?

    Nothing compares to a Kentish cobnut!

    Shyvas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shyvas, thanks for the inspiration here. I upped the amount of cobnuts from 80 to 100. It remained moist I guess from the oil of the nuts. It is a real winner. Would work very well covered in chocolate ganache! (but then what wouldn't?).

    It's a great way of using up the egg whites.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.