My favourite part of Christmas cooking is using up the left overs. With heaps of herbs, vegetables, cheeses, hams and all the unusual ingredients we all buy in abundance at Christmas. I had lots of portabello mushrooms to use up and simply mixed up handfuls of herbs with garlic, some chili and parmesan.
With a palate cleansing crispy salad, this was a welcome meal after the sumptuous meals of the last few days.
- 6 portabello mushrooms of flat open gill mushrooms
- 3 fat cloves of garlic
- 3 big handfuls of herbs (I used tarragon, parsley, dill, sage, thyme)
- 1 lemon grated and the juice
- 1 red chilli
- 50gms grated parmesan
- 50gms very roughly chopped stale bread
- olive oil
- Cut the stalks off the mushrooms and chop finely.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients after chopping everything very finely.
- Add olive oil so that you form a dryish paste and then spread onto the mushrooms and drizzle lightly on top.
- Bake in hot oven (200C) for about 40 minutes, until the mushroom base feels soft when tested with a knife.